Participants will learn to plan, layout, cut and fit through Dovetails and answer the most important question in all woodworking (maybe), Tails first or Pins first.
We will learn the following in this Hands-on Workshop:
- Usage of a Dovetail
- Components of a Dovetail
- Different methods of cutting a Dovetail
- Dovetail angles have different uses.
- Make a knife wall for cutting accuracy.
- Proper sawing technique
- How to fix any “miscalculations”
- Glue up and clamping methods
- Tips and tricks
You will be supplied practice boards and enough material to make a small Knick Knack box. There will be a small material charge of $10. for these supplies.
While we will not have enough time to complete the box, you will have the skill and the confidence to finish them at home.
Following are the tools needed for the workshop. It is preferable that you bring these with you. I do have a limited supply of extras. If you are having trouble procuring these, email me and I will help you out.
- #2 lead pencils
- 12” combo square
- Marking knife
- Marking gauge
- Various sizes of chisels starting at ¼”. Preferably sharp but I will have a sharpening station for tune ups.
- Dovetail saw
- Coping saw
- 6” or 12” ruler
- Bevel gauge or Dovetail gauge
- Hand plane #4 or low angle Block
- Hammer: Rubber tipped of wooden mallet
- A few clamps.