fbpx

Furniture and General Woodworking SIG

Hand Plane IconThe Furniture and General Woodworking SIG covers miscellaneous flat woodworking and more.  In addition to furniture making, we have had presentations on stained glass, repairing music boxes, making your own hardware, making tools, inlay, finishing, shop layouts, SketchUp, design, and more.

We meet on the first Thursday of each month, from September to June.  We usually meet at CP Rochester, unless otherwise noted. We begin gathering about 6:15 PM, to get set up and have a chance to chat with other members.

The actual meeting begins at 6:30 PM with a few brief comments. From there we get right into the featured presentation, where someone will talk about making boxes, jigs and fixtures, toys, setting up or making our shops more productive, tools, finishing, furniture and just about anything that is woodworking related. We keep some time open for attending members to discuss projects, tools, encountered woodworking problems, solutions, general questions, club news etc.

So why not stop in and joins for the evening! Hope to see you there.

REMEMBER…. Any day you can make sawdust is a good day, and if you can’t make it, then at least you can talk about it.

Schedule for the 2019-2020 season:

DATE SUBJECT PRESENTER LOCATION
Dec 5 Woodworking experiences Laszlo Boros CP Rochester
Jan 2 Sketchup Dave Sumberg CP Rochester
Feb 6 Finishing techniques Mike Heiler Mike’s Shop
March 5 Various layout/marking aids etc Greg Miller CP Rochester
April 2 Demo CNC fabrication of cabinetry Barrett Wood Prod On site
May 7 Long board/skate bd & Krenov cab Russ Lipp CP Rochester

 

About our MARCH Meeting

The actual meeting for March 5th begins at 7:00 PM.

Topic Title: Marking, Measuring, Layout, and Setup: Aids and Tools

Description: As a retired instructional designer and technology project manager in the financial services industry, Gregg found that the 80/20 rule of project management most assuredly applies to woodworking as well: 80% developmental planning and 20% execution. For woodworking, the 80% is in the research, design; and any template/jig construction for machining of parts while the remaining 20% is in the actual build assembly.

As a novice woodworker’s experience grows into higher skill levels, their inventory of aids and tools for marking, measuring, layout, and setup also increases. Gregg will take us through his 20+ year journey into woodworking., From the woodworker’s perspective, aids and tools are very different. But the acquisition and use of these items increases the accuracy of the execution phase for any woodworking project.